Saturday, June 28, 2014

I'm Wasting Away to Practically Nothing!

Day One

I can relate to Ursula the Sea Witch (The Little Mermaid.) I am pretty much hungry now. I realize for myself, hunger may just all be in my head. I don't have to eat to be starving. Hunger pains are a mystical rarity to make me pause and wonder at these strange noises coming from my abdomen. I rather enjoy a good hunger pain.

I enjoyed legit hunger pains on day one, although, I consider them to be a result of poor planning. I was working and didn't give a thought to my food that day. I know, I'm thinking that too... "not make a plan for the first day of Summer? That's irresponsible."

Not that I am claiming this to be the most "responsible" diet I have tried, but I like it so far. As you may have read in an earlier post, I don't have many rules. But the rules I do have, I am clinging to like velcro on my favorite sweater. I won't let go until I find a hole... and there are holes, just not ones big enough for me to crawl through yet.

One of the unwritten rules I am following is not to deny myself a food because it's not good for me or the food in question has too much fat, etc. I am focusing on portion control, which is a big problem for me

I have given myself permission to eat anything I want or whatever is available to make my meal. There is no guilt in this.

On June 20, summer's eve, I made oatmeal cookies with raisins, my all time favorite, knowing I would be having cookies the next day. It was lovely having those cookies. I counted the calories and moved on. Easy peasy.

The funny thing is that I didn't feel the need to eat more because I know I can have them again any time I want old fashioned oatmeal cookies. There are 15 baggies in my freezer with four small cookies in each bag (ounces matter) waiting for me whenever I get the need for a cookie. I love knowing I can have them... which somehow, oddly enough, gives me no driving need to eat more. This must be what "Average Weight" people do. Hmmm. Food for thought.

My thoughts on the first day of Serving Size Summer, reference the daily food intake image above.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are listed first, followed by all snacks with time notations for each food consumed.

My first challenge was Pizza. The pieces looked huge and I wanted to eat the whole thing. I didn't have the time to do a search at work and find out the calories, so, I cut a bit of the slice off to what I thought was an appropriate serving size (estimating 1/8 slice of medium pizza.) Later that evening I searched up the serving sizes of Papa Murphy's Garlic Chicken Pizza and came up with 320 calories. I realized that was for the piece on left, the one I didn't eat. In hindsight, I should have eaten the uncut slice because that is a serving size and the calories stated were based on that size. It was delicious either way.

As you look at the graphic you might notice that I ate carrots all day. Part of that is because that is what I had available and we haven't been shopping in a while.

The other reason is that carrots are my favorite go-to snack. These are a staple in my life, as will be reflected in my nutrition fact graphics. I have so many people say to me, "you shouldn't eat so many carrots. They are full of sugar." Well, to that I say, "carrots are better for me than a Baby Ruth. Carrots are better than a pound of bacon... better than that bag of Lays Sour Cream & Onion Potato Chips... and yes, carrots are better than a stalk of celery which is about 7 calories. Carrots helped me stop smoking. Carrots are a happy bright orange, carrots also sound like the word used to measure diamonds." I could go on, so all you carrot haters, BACK OFF!

The disheartening note about carrots is that a serving is just 10 pieces. Sad, sad day. Some labels list the serving as 1/4 package. Thats very nice, so when you look at the graphic, I haven't doubled my serving size, which would be cheating, I have just followed the current recommendation for that particular brand.

I did lose three pounds overnight, I know, water weight whatever. I know it was because I didn't eat enough calories to slow things down. Although I do want to lose weight, I am not in a rush. Tomorrow (I will try to eat more... that is funny coming from a pre-diabetic, obese American. If you could only hear me laughing.)

I love the support I am getting from this. My family, friends and co-workers are more aware of a serving size and will offer me snacks with the qualifying information so I can choose if that is where I want to spend my calories. See, choices make me happy.

Although I didn't eat enough calories on the first Day of Summer, I considered it a successful beginning to my journey. I stuck to my plan. (I should get a big banner saying "Mission Accomplished!" Nah. That might be jumping ahead... this is, after all, only the first day.)




No comments:

Post a Comment