Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day 2014

Happy 4th of July!

My buddy, Roxy waiting to play.
The 4th of July marks two weeks of Serving Size Summer. It is going along very well, with a few food issues... surprise, surprise. I will go into those in a later post.

Today is a very low key day for me. My family is with relatives celebrating the 4th at the yearly get-together and I'm staying home with our dogs and cats (alas, poor Jimmie The Fish and his two un-named cohorts went to the big fish pond in the sky this April.) In the past, on this particular holiday, we have lost a few dogs and as I sit here with my pups, (cats are in hiding) I know they feel better with me here. Its a win, win.

A few years ago, I decided that I didn't have to participate in the fireworks events to celebrate my country's freedom. Exploding devices in the hands of children has always made me nervous, making it difficult for me to enjoy these celebrations. I do like a good fireworks show from across a large body of water, though.

Despite the fact that I don't love loud booming noises, there isn't a place I would rather live... even though I love to travel and see new places, meet new people, there really is "no place like home..."

I like Denmark, though. Thats where my grandfather was born, and although he spent most of his life in America and I only knew him in my birthplace of Ukiah, California, I like to think of him in Denmark. That is where my Mom's brother lives, so you see, we are very connected to the land of the Vikings.

My sister, Debra and Me and the Mermaid.
In April of 2012, my sister and her husband gifted me with a ticket and I flew to Copenhagen, meeting my sister there and we spent a week with our Aunt and Uncle in Lyngby. I loved it. (Thank you, guys!)

They showed us around the old family haunts, took us to see Tivoli, the Glyptotek, a few castles and even spent the day in Roskilde at the Viking Museum. The Island of Tasinge was a very special place because it has a large amount of history there for our family. We ended the trip with a very nice jazz performance on our last night in Copenhagen.

Surprisingly, while traipsing around Denmark, I lost eight pounds in one week. We ate whatever we wanted. There was no "oh, I shouldn't eat that" statements. The key here was that except for the day trip to Tasinge, we walked everywhere. I definitely should go there frequently... for my health.


The Cathedral Church of the Royal Family, Roskilde, Denmark


I would go back right now if I could. The only thing I would do different is spend the time with my relatives without the tourism... we got that out of the way on the first trip. I would spend a day at the Glyptotek and do the jazz again. You can never get too much art and culture.

 Rebild Celebration - Denmark
Rebild Celebration - 4th of July in Rebild and Aalborg
Really, my point in this story is to tell you a tiny bit about the largest 4th of July celebration outside the United States... yep, its in DENMARK!

The short version: in 1912, a group of Danish American immigrants bought a chunk of land and gifted it back to the Danish people. As a thank you to America for welcoming many Danes, the celebrations continue to this day.

Click on the link under the photo of Rebild to read more about the Danish/American 4th of July Celebration.


Addendum to a Rule

One little update to the rules listed in my earlier post "The Tools and The Rules." I have decided to consume more than one serving if the nutrition facts listed on calorie-free drinks states that a serving size is half of the bottle. If I open a 16 oz. size of any particular drink, I am going to drink the entire bottle.

What I have been doing is pouring half into a glass and then drinking the second half with a snack later. This is not always convenient at work. It is not a matter of me getting enough water in my plan; I drink three to four Contigo (best water bottle on earth - http://www.gocontigo.com/) 24 oz. servings of water every day in addition to everything else I drink. (Coffee, tea, 16 oz. energy, immune boost, or Crystal Lite type drinks, and occasional pop with lunch. (I know these choices are not healthy... one thing at a time, okay?)

More to come in future posts on how the plan is treating me.

The Experiment continues...




No comments:

Post a Comment